Thursday, February 28, 2008

Belated Happy Birthday

Most things seem to be of the 'belated' sort lately, and while we didn't actually celebrate her birthday late, I am tardy in sharing the festivities. So here goes.


I must admit I have taken to cake making. I know that the day should be all about her, but I use it as an excuse to do something I like too. . . I stole this idea from familyfun.com and it turned out so cute, even though I can't claim any creative genius. Alaina orginally wanted a butterfly cake, but changed her mind to princess one. I inserted her a bit lopsided, but it was effective nonetheless!
Alaina enjoyed aunts and uncles, grandma's and grandpa's and even a little brother at her party. She got all the things she wanted and even a few surprises! This year seemed to be the year of the pj's though. But she loves to wear a different pair ever night! Seems her fashion sense does not sleep as she is very particular about what she wears to bed even.
I can't believe that she is already four. This fall she will be heading to preschool, both an anticipated event for me (what with an ever increasing work load, and another baby on the way), and a sad one as well. I sometimes worry, and especially lately, that I haven't been available enough for her. Even though I am at home. I can't count how many times I have replied with a "Not right now", or "In a mintute", or "When Matthew is taking a nap" to her requests for a story, or a puzzle, or a manicure.

She is so much the light of my life. I hope that in spite of the time I have to spend at my desk or in front of the computer, that she knows she is everything to me. And on this her 4th birthday, the hug and kiss I got from her appeased that longing for me. And she was surrounded by people who love her most, and know her best. She was happy, and excited and that is what a birthday is all about - the magic of it all, the feeling that you really are the most important person in the world. I hope that wonder and magic was something she experienced.

0 comments: