Thursday, May 29, 2008

4 Plus 1 Equals 5

And Damon Michael has arrived. He was born at 11:06 pm May 23rd at 8lbs 6 ozs and 20 3/4 inches long. I went into the hopital at 4pm, they started the drugs at 5:30pm, broke the water at 9ish pm, had the joke of an epidural at 10:15pm, and had a baby boy at not much more than 45 min. later.

While we tried to convince Alaina that hers was not the privelage of naming our third born, ultimately her choice was the winner, and Damon is happily at home! Snoozing most of the time, eating the rest of the time. He has so proven to be very laid back and geniunely sweet. But can they be anyting other than that at 5 days old? We have to have some addt.'l tests on his hearing and his bilirubin counts. Should know by Friday at the latest if there is anything real to worry about in either case. I am not sure if it is experience or apathy, but I am not losing any sleep over any of it. The Lord seems to work things out in his own way.

Alaina is a super helper. Constantly reminding me to feed Damon, telling him she loves him and that he is so cute! She also has proven to be sensitive to my own misgivings and lack of confidence as she is frequently and spontaneously reminding me that she loves me, and that she thinks I am beautiful.

Matthew was eager to have a new playmate, asking Damon "Damon, do you want to play football with me?" the night we brought him home. He has made a few more similar heartwarming, and pre-mature requests of his younger brother, but has ultimately given up on him and decided we need to take him back to the hospital. I am sure his emotional roller coaster will be as intense and real as mine will be in the next several weeks.

My mother in law has been in town and leaves on Thursday. I am so greatful for her willingness to travel and be with us so often. She is awesome! She has been a great help. And Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters and respective significant others have been a great source of love and support as well. I am so lucky to have my family so close. I am sure they wish sometimes that there was bit more distance between us, but I wouldn't have it any other way. My kids and our family in general are greatly blessed by their willingness to love and serve us so selflessly. I am healing well, despite the fact the dr. didn't prescribe me one single pain killer. Just extra strength tylenol for me.

Kids are asleep, so I am going to catch some shut eye while I can. Love to all. And for those interested, we should be blessing the baby the first Sunday of July. You are all more than welcome!

3 comments:

Harward Happenings said...

Congrats and welcome to Damon. I've been checking often for all the details. Wish we were closer so I could help out in some way.

Jodi said...

CONGRATS! Post some pictures of the little guy! Glad he's here and everyone is happy and healthy! Will you please email me your home address?
wilson.jeffandjodi@gmail.com

Deanne said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad he's here and healthy. You are blessed to have so many helpers--big and small. I'm so happy for you!