Monday, August 20, 2007

Mattatouille

That's our new favorite nick name for Matt. We saw Ratatouille a few weeks ago and the name stuck. I was perusing the masses of pictures I have taken in the recent months and noticed that Matt has been sorely missed in many of the frames my snap happy finger has taken. I feel bad, like maybe I have been neglecting keeping memories of him, preferring to capture Alaina instead. But then as I was looking at the few pictures I do have of him, most of them are blurs of his image as he races past me and the lens. My guilt was assuaged as I realized, he just doesn't hold still long enough! Always too busy getting in to trouble, climbing, jumping, running -- always moving and investigating. Never staying in one place too long. He senses that this world is so full of exciting things, and he has a refreshing desire and determination to experience as much of it as he can.

However, there are a few things that will keep him stationary for more than 2 second increments. He LOVES playing in running water: sink water, hoses, spray bottles, showers, tubs, toilets. Nothing with a steady stream of water flow escapes his little mischevious eye. I often lose track of time (mostly because I have also lost track of my brain somewhere between college and my two kids) and him, until I am brought back to 'real time' by the sound of running water or puddles. Usually at that point it is too late, the kitchen counter is flooded, or the furniture is dripping wet. I like to try and get upset, but I should really be greatful that the puddles and dripping counter tops are the result of his fascination with full blast plumbing features found in the home, and not his own full blast plumbing! Right?

And about the only other thing he will stay put for other then turning everything soggy, is a late night snuggle with Dad and his chawbee milk (strawberry milk) before bed. The two of them recline on the couch in front of ESPN, MadMoney with Kramer or some other testosterone driven media, til he is just about out for the count. Then I get to swoop in for the last few minutes of just-before-nodding-off-to-sleep loves. Which are the best kind! You know, that cuddle that feels like they are one with you again. The kind of hug that reminds you of when your whole body embraced them as they grew inside of you. Soon he will be too big and too busy to give his momma hugs like that anymore. But he will always be my Mattatouille!

3 comments:

Deanne said...

What a cutie! I love just before sleep hugs, too! They do grow up too fast, but watching them grow is part of the wonder and excitement of being a mom! You really are a gifted writer! I love to read your blog.

Jodi said...

I love it! It seems like all of my kids have had an infatuation with water. I think it's just a "being a kid" thing and they eventually out grow it...until they get to the family reunion!

Renee said...

Your little Matt is so adorable. I think there is a certain age where you rarely get pictures of kids because like you said they just don't stand still long enough.