Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Child's Prayer


Thanks to a quick shutter and a little irreverence during family prayer I caught Matt in one of his most endearing poses. Still, quiet, arms folded and eyes shut up tight, eyelids twitching from the sheer effort of it all. He is so funny and so wonderful! At meal time we usually say at least 3 prayers before all the plates are scraped clean and the table is cleared - and at Matt's bequest naturally. Alaina gets a little miffed, as her dinner is interrupted on these occasions, but for the most part she is a good sport. Last night Matt seemed particularly in-tune with the tenor of the table: Alaina and I were passionately discussing the necessity of her finishing the food in her bowl, the tempers were getting a little bit inflated and he stands up on the bench, folding his arms in matter-of-fact manner, and says "pray"! So we did. And after asking for Heavenly Father's help to eat all our food and get along with one another we were able to finish dinner without too much fuss. I am so grateful for my children! They are so wonderful and I could take a lesson or two from them on being in tune with the value and power of the simple act of prayer!

4 comments:

Renee said...

I love the picture of Matthew! So adorable. My kids tend to argue who's turn it is to say the prayer. I guess I can't complain about that argument. Oh, love the fact you have Tom Petty on your iPod. Me too! We like the same music. By the way... my running has been non existent in this heat for the past 2 weeks but will start again and the book is coming along. Love it, love it! It's great!

shawna said...

Running in the heat is terrible! But lately I have been coaxed out of bed earlier by the cooler weather that 6:00 am brings. This morning was PERFECT! abut 72 degrees!

Deanne said...

Such a great photo! I think you're forgiven for peeking.

Jodi said...

So cute...I'm glad you peeked!