Friday, September 7, 2007

Re-Discovering Rock while on the Roll

So, many thanks to Jenny! I have found the magic of melody and it's motivational merit while treading the tire worn roads during my not-frequent-enough running adventures! But can I tell you , there is something to be said when Honky-Tonk-Badonkadonk can get my badondadonk bustin' itself a little harder! And it is so liberating and empowering to run to something other than the sound of my feet pounding, and my hazardous huffing and piteous puffing. For a good 1/3 of the run I can kind of gasp out the garrulous gimmicks I have downloaded on my i-pod. But then my body begins to fuse with the beat bumping out in my ears and the movement of the music creates an, if not envigorating, then at least a sustaining lilt. So for any of you interested in my playlist. . . and even if you're not. . .. here it is. (Keep in mind this short list is only meant for about 35 minutes of running. I am, and always have been a devout disciple of the warm up/cool down-challenged genre, so these do not include any numbers meant for that purpose. Just right into the run):

Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty
All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
Starlight - Muse
Face Down - The Red Jumpsuit Aparatus
King of the Mountain - Midnight Oil
Harder To Breathe (and this is about when it does get harder to breathe) - Maroon 5
No Way Back - Foo Fighters
Rollercoaster - Red Hot Chile Peppers
Check Up On It - Beyonce
I Will Follow - U2

I am also partial to these songs as well:

Under Pressure - David Bowe and Queen
Shut Up and Drive - Rihanna
American Girl - Tom Petty
American Idiot - Green Day
Me Love - Sean Kingston


For someone like me who loves loves loves music, if I get a stinker of a song while I am singing it is a real drag. I zone in on the lyrics, so much so that many a song with a good beat can be "ruined" as my husband says, when I realize what message that beat is trying to get into my head. Don't EVER run to any song from Bloodhound Gang! Don't ever LISTEN to any song from that band. Terrible.

One thing I really like about running to music is that it can really dictate my pace. So much so that I have to watch it. . if I put too many fast songs on my playlist, I inevitably run out of steam. But once I master the mix, the music pushes me and drives me ever forward, slowly increasing my distance and my pace! So thanks again a million times and again to Jenny for the wonderful suggestion. And while I know she can't claim she was the first to ever run with an mp3 player, she was the first to suggest it to me!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea Shawna! Your list has lots of songs that I'm not sure I've heard of. Can't wait to check them out. My play list could use a few new tunes. Even my favorite songs gets old after a while. Keep it up!