Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Kitchen Katastrophe

I will be the first to admit that my skills in the kitchen, are well, non-existent. And while I do admit skill in other fields, this is definitely my husband's territory. When I do dare to dash a few spices around, I ultimately end up with a more often than not drab dish. Chuck is kind, but always eager to give "suggestions" on how to make it better next time. He is skilled in the constructive criticism department, but after 6 plus years together, I can see through the delicate maneuverings around my fragile ego. I know that, especially as a "mormon momma", I should quit hiding behind my husband's culinary dexterity, and make at least a feeble attempt at improving my cuisine consciousness. I am, therefore, venturing forth into the world of wire whisks, forged cutlery, and recipe cards. Please, if you are not proudly protective of your more desirable delicatessens, send some of your more favorite and family beloved recipes. Perhaps, I will chance upon a few that will not find demise in my kitchen! And seeing as my attempts usually result in slop, keep it simple please!

4 comments:

Deanne said...

I'm sure you're a great cook! I, too, am always looking for new recipes. Here is one of my family favorites: and by the way, I don't do anything BUT simple. And I would be up to any suggestions Chuck may have to spruce up my recipe! (so long as he is really as skilled in the constructive criticism department as you say he is)

Poppyseed Chicken

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice
3-4 cooked chicken breasts, cubed (sometimes I use canned chicken if I'm in a hurry)
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz. sour cream
1 soup can of milk
3/4 sleeve Ritz crackers
1/2 cube butter, melted
2 Tbsp. poppyseeds (optional)

Make a sauce with the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and milk.

Crush Ritz crackers, and mix them with the melted butter and poppyseeds (if desired. I ususally leave the poppyseeds out)

layer in a 9X13 pan:
rice
chicken
sauce
top with ritz cracker mixture
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. (everything is cooked, so you just need to heat it up).

Jodi said...

Here's one of our family's staples:
Taco Soup:
Ground 1 lb. hamburger
In a large pot over medium high heat combine 1 large can crushed tomatoes, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can pinto beans, 1 pkg taco seasoning and the hamburger. (Sometimes I add a little bit of frozen corn) Mix together and stir on stovetop for about 10-15 min. Serve over crushed fritos chips and top with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese. DELICIOUS and EASY!
Good Luck - and I see you successfully added a counter - yae!

Harward Happenings said...

Here is another version of taco soup. This one you get to leave in the crock pot to cook.

1 can corn
1 can pinto beans
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can green chilis
1/2 packet of ranch (powder form)
1/2 packet of taco seasoning
Beef or chicken is really good in it
Let sit in crock pot for 2 to 3 hours and serve.....To die for!!!!!!!

shawna said...

Here is one my Mother in Law suggested:

Peachy Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 tbsp veg. oil
1 tbsp butter
1 can (15 1/4 oz) sliced peaches, undrained
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 envelope onion soup mix
Hot cooked rice, optional

INa large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil and butter; remove and keep warm. Add peaches with juice, brown sugar, orange juice and soup mix to the skillet; stir until combined. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; return chicken to the pan. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve over rice if desired.