Thursday, September 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Matt!

Matt just had his second birthday! What a milestone! A friend of my mentioned recently that when they turn two a switch turns and they are totally different. My little boy has seemingly grown up over night! It wasn't really that long ago when that dimple in his left was nestled in a much rounder cheek, when that flashy grin sported only fleshy pink gums. And while the twinkle in his bright eyes has always been there, the mischief has only just begun. But with all the raucous a two-year old boy can cause, I'll take it if it means I get that sweet kiss, and that tender hug. The endearing closeness as he presses his forehead up to mine as he sweetly makes his request for Cinderella for the 5th time in one afternoon, or some play time with mommy and the new cars he got for his birthday.


His favorite present were the water guns. Against my better judgment and succumbing to the desire to hear his squeals of rebellious delight, I got him 3 water guns. The rest of the evening was spent dousing both unsuspecting, and suspecting aunts, uncles, and grandparents with the new-fangled weapons of choice. But the highlight of the evening occurred when he realized which victim would bring him the most delight in attacking. CHAINO! After just a few moments of practice squeezing the trigger, he exclaimed "Chaino!" and ran to where Alaina's beloved dog sat unaware beneath an end table. Vigorously squirting him he darted a glance over his shoulder, keeping a wary eye on Alaina. When she realized the peril her pup was in she yelled in sincere distress and surprise, "No, not Chaino!" She ran to his aid and having achieved the response he desired from his sister he moved on to the next target. Chuck and I can only imagine the future predicaments of mock danger Chaino will find himself in at the hands of our Matt! And while this special day was truly ALL about Matthew, I have to boast for just a moment. Because I, the cook/baker incompetent, managed to make a MARVELOUS cake! It turned out soo soo soo good! Wonders never cease it appears! The Dragon Cake was a hit! So good it even made Matt take a couple looks at it before he decided it was safe to approach, and eventually blow on to extinguish the candles. The picture is a little busy, but if you look closely you can even see the wings! I look forward to trying something different next year for Alaina's birthday. And thanks to my cousin Deanne for inspiring me to try my hand at something other than a rectangular pan and a tub of frosting!

For many many many reasons, this will be one of my favorite birthday memories. I love my boy and I hope he has a great year!













4 comments:

Harward Happenings said...

What a great day. How did you do the black and white pictures with the bit of color. And the dragon cake is amazing!! You're kids are lucky to have you for a mom.

shawna said...

i fixed those pictures up in photo shop. change the photo to black and white and save as a copy. Then use the magnetic lasso to trace around the selection of color picture you want. Copy the selection. Paste in the black and white copy and move it till it lines up right. Pretty easy once i figured which tool to use. Now I am kind of addicted. Prob. use it too much!

Jodi said...

Great job on the cake! You and Deanne need to start your own cake shop...move over Martha Stewart!

Deanne said...

Happy Birthday, Matt! What a great birthday, and I LOVE the pictures! I'm glad the cake turned out so well!